Kpoene' started Mignonette Bridal in 2011 as a romantic, feminine wedding gown design label for individualist brides. Shortly after assembling her workroom she realized there was something missing in the alterations world--a boutique atmosphere with skilled seamstresses trained in complicated, custom gown-making. The Mignonette team started offering alterations services to other wedding shops around town, and grew into what Ette has become today!
1. Where are you from? I grew up on both coasts, so where I'm from depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I'm a New Yorker, sometimes I'm a California girl, other times it's Washington DC.
2. What's your favorite sewing project? I love designing intricately layered bias-cut gowns that have lots of lace applique and require lots of hand-sewing.
3. How did you learn to sew? My mother is a seamstress and though I didn't actively learn from her I absorbed a lot just by watching her and trying to mimic what she was doing. I spent a lot of my childhood in fabric stores so I suppose I learned by osmosis.
4. What are you up to when you’re not sewing? Is there more to life than creating beautiful things?
5. Favorite movie? It's impossible to choose just one - I love Les MicMacs, but I also love Kissing Jessica Stein, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and....Hellboy.
6. Favorite book? Age of Innocence or the Buccaneers.
7. Tell us about your pets! Or a favorite animal? I am a dedicated cat lady and always have at least two. Thank goodness I'm married to a very understanding woman.